Sunday, October 09, 2005

If I'm brave enough to write it, why are people too scared to comment?

Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.
-Henry David Thoreau


Sometimes out here I can really lose myself. In the storm of the "here and now" I find myself living moment to moment... and making choices as if I only live moment to moment, like my choice in this moment will not affect the next.

I hope I have left enough bread crumbs behind so that I can find my way home.

Sometimes I think about my goals and plans and swell up inside with excitement... and then I remember home and everything fades and starts to fall around me like a field of fireflies dying mid-flight, one by one.

Sometimes I think of home and the warmth and love radiate around me...and then I think of my plans and goals and fear freezes my heart. I'm going to have to go "out there" away from what is safe and known.

So I have been out here in Bosnia for the better part of a month. In my imagination I was going to blog everyday with updates. Right, so that didn't happen.

I read other blogs just to know that life is still going on at there: a 16 year-old in Japan worried about school, a 20 year-old Swedish hiker whose blogs I can barely guess the meanings of, a couple from Connecticut excited that they are pregnant with their first baby.

And I didn't comment any of them...

Why?

When I read other blogs I feel like a voyeur. I assume they didn't mean to have me for an audience and so I leave no footprints behind (unless I get curious about them and end up putting another tick in the number of profile views).

Even though I thought it was the coolest thing when Bart commented my first post, I find myself to distant from most bloggers - either because of age, religion, age, interests, age, place in life, etc. Does a 25 year old in Thailand really want to hear from me?

Actually probably yes.

I see that most blogs do not have much more than a handful of comments. 213 people have viewed my profile (ok, probably 13 and one dude 200 times; please stop, I know who you are!), but only 4 people have ever made a comment.

So if you are out there, and you read this, just say "hi". That's great...it really doesn't need to be more than that.

2 Comments:

At 2:51 AM, Blogger JavaKinetic said...

Commenting is kind of a funny thing. I think I just caught the tail end of the start of the blogging craze... and near the start of the effort, I got quite a few comments. Now, its down to just a few friends, and even then... its a comment or two at most.

Im treating my blog like a diary... But, I have to admit... every once in a while... its nice to get a comment from someone new.

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Zanla said...

Maybe most people are just voyeurs at heart. Stepping out into the limelight invites the possibility that someone might get offended by you, and then say something against you.

But, I am here to say, "Keep writing."

Oh, and HI!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




create your own visited country map or check our Venice travel guide