Saturday, September 17, 2005

If you have no internet and no mobile phone are you still a person?

I am here in Sarajevo now and my lack of connectivity is just killing me. This has nothing to do with Bosnia, just random stupid events.

When my computer was repaired a month or two ago, the tech rep replaced my mother board with one that does not have a modem. 99% of the modern world would never notice, but I rely on dial-up out here to log on at home and do things like update my blog. So here I am at the office at 5:30pm on a Saturday.

On top of that, there was confusion about my mobile chip so I don't have a mobile phone. I can't write my friends to tell them I am here because where would they call. I can't read mail so I can't even reliably reply.

I tell you, this is the highest degree of roughing it I can take. It is almost sundown and I have no plans and no way to make plans - on a SATURDAY NIGHT no less. I have email addresses for friends, but then I can't go home. I'd have to stay at the office waiting for someone to write back. I'm not capable of that level of desperation. I can't call anyone because their phone numbers are in my phone which is in the hands of the person who screwed up the chip. It was her birthday yesterday and I forgot so I couldn't possibly proceed to whine about my phone problems.

The next time someone even brings up the idea of camping (other than camping out for tickets - the only "good" camping), I need to recognize that I would never be able to handle it for even 24 hours.

1 Comments:

At 6:33 AM, Blogger Zanla said...

I feel SOOOOOOOO much sympathy for you. (hehehehehehehehe) It sounds awful. (BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA) I hope never ever to experience the suffering which you are going through. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Okay, actually, yeah, it does suck a little, but come on! You are in a place that you like, doing things that you like, living the life that you like. Isn't that a good thing?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




create your own visited country map or check our Venice travel guide