Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Impossible choices

Changes are coming for me professionally. I have no control over anything that is about to happen, but I get to make one choice:

Option A: Follow a person who has been my champion for the past year. I don't know where he is going (but I will before I have to choose), but I do know that I would be starting fresh...new job, new state (there is no chance I could remain in Delaware), new friends, and hopefully new salary that is more in line with my skills and contributions. A big downside is that then my destiny will be tied to another person for at least a year or two. I could definitely be going from the frying pan into the fire.

Option B: Stay where I am, keep the job I love and the life I have made for myself. However, not only will my champion be gone, but the two people that would be above me on the project hold a decent amount of contempt for me. The one who would be replacing the lead person on the project is someone I have had a long negative history with and it's pretty unrealistic that his opinion of me will change in the near future. The second person I have only known for a year. His dislike of me stems from the fact that he is lazy and incompetent and clearly feels threatened by me. I am afraid that this will be a totally toxic environment.

I think I will only get one chance to make the call. If I don't go with my champion, I do not think he will ask again. I have some feeling that he has controlled circumstances to manipulate things such that I will get the worst possible deal by choosing not to leave, but I cannot prove that - it's just a suspicion.

I have no idea how I will get a good night's sleep until this is resolved.

3 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger allysther said...

After the year of almost limitless possibility that you have had, I guess I should have realized that an impossible choice was on it's way.

It sounds as if you have indeed been manipulated by your champion. Leaving you in the hands of two people who dislike you is a pretty sure way to destroy you professionally.

Would the move be worthwhile on both a personal and professional level? Just how big a move are you thinking it might be? Would you still be working within the academic world, or would it be a move towards business?

If this person truly supports you, and the work you do, then working with him for a few more years should not be an issue. You know from past moves that a change in job (and even profession)is often a truly positive thing.

Oh, and do you realize that you've been in Delaware for almost as long as you were in Florida? I realize that this comment does not help you make the choice, but felt the need to remind you anyway.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Ann said...

First, let me say that I have 3 more years before I will have lived in Delaware for as long as I lived in Florida. Ironically, 2 of the 3 possibilities that I could end up moving to are in Florida, but pretty far from my Miami roots. (I think if I move to FL, I will tell people I am from DE, because Miami chicks are a dime a dozen down there).

I don't think that my current supervisor wants to hurt me professionally. I think he is so insecure that he feels he needs to tip the balance in his favor.

Now to the real questions...would it be worthwhile personally and professionally? It would still be at a University, but that's all I know. I really am loving the type of thing I am doing and I would be reluctant to take a job sitting at a desk ... even if that desk is in Florida.

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger Zanla said...

My my, don't we have a sister-sister reunion here?

I agree that the question would be whether this would be good for your personally and professionally. That is another way of saying personally and personally, since it all impacts your well being.

Do you trust this person? That is the big question. If you can't trust this person, then putting your life (and the life of three others) in his hands might not be a smart or even good idea.

By going on this new venture what will the impact be on your family life? Good? Bad? None?

Will T-bone be supportive or not?

What will the Eagles do?

If the end goals are for success and that success will be achieved with your pressence, then it may be the move to take. The chances of something underhanded being done when you are a necessary part is small.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




create your own visited country map or check our Venice travel guide