Wednesday, November 16, 2005

How much of your life is really based on timing?

After several frustrating talks with girlfriends/my sister, I found myself thinking about the whole idea of the "perfect mate" or "soul-mate". For the record, I do not believe in the idea that there is the one right person for each other person. That's just sentimental. Even on the S.A.T. it doesn't say "right answer", it says "best answer"..."best answer" and they wrote the damn test. Why do people think they can do better than this?

So anyway, my fellow female associates have me thinking that in general, there are a lot of women out there passing on really good, hoping for better, ending up with nothing - or worse yet, some guy we all know is a jackass, but my friend has to pretend he's great because we all know she let perfectly good guys take a hike.

But...if I am being perfectly honest...in my heart of hearts, I too am terrified about the alternative. You marry pretty damn good, the best you ever knew, and years later, after you have the little house with the white picket fence, you meet "really great". Now what?

Seriously, you have to ignore this or you just cannot function...right?

So, it all comes down to timing, but does that make sense? That something so huge should be based on pure circumstance? There should be an option besides either ruining the lives of everyone around you or blowing your chance to be truly happy.

I guess if everyone thought like I do, we wouldn't be able to form a society - but that's true about most of my views; they only work for me because most of the world thinks differently.

1 Comments:

At 3:28 AM, Blogger allysther said...

Here's my problem with your argument:

There is simply no way to remain satisfied with what you have if you forever have your eyes open for what might be next. I'm not saying don't look, but there is never a certainty that "really great" is actually better than "pretty damn good". I know that this is really MY issue, but if you begin your argument that there is no "one" person, I have to say that the person you choose, as long as that person is indeed "pretty damn good", is no worse that "really great". To flip the thought, I promise that "really great" will bring things to the relationship that are worse than "pretty damn good".

Now I realize that with one of my goals in life being to throw myself a 50th wedding anniversary party (I guess my parents blew their chance on that one, huh?) I had to marry early and stick with it. I've always been open to the idea that there are other mates out there with whom I could have led a happy, suscessful life.

I can agree that it is all a matter of timing. There are so many small moments that had to happen in order for me to meet my spouse. I've met thousands of people in my life, there is really no reason why *this* person stood out from all the rest, but somehow that is exactly what happened. Should I meet "really great" tomorrow, I know that I would have a wonderful time with the fantasy, but that the reality of my "pretty damn good" would keep me where I am.

I met a couple who married late in life. They had each lived full lives, including marriages and careers. When they got together, one of the things they liked best was that they would never run out of stories to tell one another. I see that as the perfect way to look at a long term relationship. As long as my partner still has stories to tell me, I'll be happy to hear them. If we run out of stories, we just have to work harder to create new ones.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




create your own visited country map or check our Venice travel guide